`Everyone anticipates Carnival in Brazil; its a time to laugh, dance, sing and be whatever you want to be. Poor people, richly attired, are admired, filmed and applauded in their costumes as they parade ... . Inhibited people dance and sing frenetically to the samba rhythms belted out by the percussion group who maintain the cadence as thousands of members of each samba school undulate down the street.´ (excerpt from Rio This Month).
I´ve ´borrowed´ the exerpt above because I doubt my ability to describe Carnaval in a way that would do it justice. What we saw at the Sambadrome exceeded all my expectations: the floats were enormous, there were so many people involved, the choreography was masterful, and costumes magnificent. There was so much going on I found it difficult to focus for fear of missing out on something else. Some schools stood out with their innovativeness, but it was wonderful to feel the crowd respond to all the samba schools, and to respond with them. We left a little past 5am as the last school was parading to avoid getting caught in the crowd and traffic.
I´ve ´borrowed´ the exerpt above because I doubt my ability to describe Carnaval in a way that would do it justice. What we saw at the Sambadrome exceeded all my expectations: the floats were enormous, there were so many people involved, the choreography was masterful, and costumes magnificent. There was so much going on I found it difficult to focus for fear of missing out on something else. Some schools stood out with their innovativeness, but it was wonderful to feel the crowd respond to all the samba schools, and to respond with them. We left a little past 5am as the last school was parading to avoid getting caught in the crowd and traffic.
No comments:
Post a Comment